A place to put all the plastic....

As I'm sure most of you Mom's out there realize...kids come with A LOT of stuff! The most prevalent is toys. Birthdays, Christmas, screaming fits in the check out line for matchbox cars (WHY does Target have Matchbox cars next to the checkstand as IMPULSE items???), etc. We recently rearranged our living room and dining room to accomidate a new office for my hubby (his computer now resides in our gigantic armoire), and a sewing room for me (YAY). Now the way we used to have the room laid out we had the bulk of our son's toys in the bottom of the armoire and it worked great. He could even get inside there and play and hide and force his Mom to freak out thinking he was missing and comb the house from top to bottom screaming for him only for him to pop out and say peek a boo! Um ya that wasn't cool...but it was cute. So now my hubby's computer resides in the toddler's former toy haven and hiding spot which made me anxious to find another place to corral all the junk...err....toys. Enter the super ugly bright blue trunk that I got for free off the side of the road!
Yes that's snow and ice on the ground with the trunk on top of it. Hey...it was sunny...so what if it was 25 degrees! I took this pic after I put blue painters tape on the handle and sanded any rough spots with my hand sander. I picked up some Rustoleum Dark Gray spray paint and HD the other day and I knew I wanted to use that on this trunk. I also wanted some white stripes...kinda of a distressed beachy vibe. Here's what I came up with....

Lyla had to model the trunk for you! Doesn't she make it look cuter?? I specifically wanted an uneven look. I spaced the stripes out at different widths and only did one coat so the gray would show through a little. I really like how this came out. Its sitting right next to the armoire and is now STUFFED to the brim with toys and cars and blocks and leggos and books. Which reminds me....I need to have a garage sale! :) I hope you all have a great weekend!

Linking up to Flaunt it Friday @ Chic on a Shoestring
Linking up to Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Linking up to Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots and Jello

6 comments:

  1. Very cute blog!
    Saw your comment over at MMS and thought I would stop by!
    Tammy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY pretty! Great job (and your little one is super adorable!). Just popping in from TT&J :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at Lyla! She makes the trunk cuter, yes!
    She's yummy!
    I haven't seen her in a few months! :)
    (I hope you don't get mad at me, but, I wanted to tell you that this font is kinda hard to read-maybe make it a few points bigger?)
    Are you mad at me?
    SORRY!!
    I am glad that the Lord reminds us to supply the missing elements in our husband's hearts.
    I pray that we can honor Him with out trust.
    Love you, girlie!
    So glad to see you stopped by!!
    HUGS!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trunk is so cute, and so is the adorable baby girl sitting on top. LOL! Look at her face in the last one she's saying "I know I'm cute..." hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Job on the trunk. FYI, this trunk was probably an Army trunk. My Dad's World War II Army trunk was just like this. We painted it when we were children, to match our bedroom decor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously... you are one talented chickadee. I love your creativity! It takes a visionary to see these projects through... what a gift from God, truly. (so yeah that sounded weird, I meant more that being a visionary is a gift.. although the furniture DIY stuff is kinda a blessing too. Right?) And now this comment is long, disoriented, and I fear others will read it. Must work on thought & speech control.

    ReplyDelete