Anthro inspired faux zinc letters tutorial

Hey everyone! I am certifiably obsessed with Anthropology... as is the rest of the world!! I guess that's where they get the excuse to charge so much... Anyways I was perusing their site the other day and came across these
SWOON! I was IN LOVE with them and trying to scheme how I could justify the 18.00 a piece price tag. Ouch! Especially since I wanted to spell out Yummy on my kitchen wall and that would MAJORLY break the bank! So I started researching DIY ways to replicate these and I came across a couple of great tutorials. I modified them to make it a little easier on myself but the premise was very similar. Here is what you will need...
1 unfinished mdf letter of your choice from the craft store (I wanted to try out one letter first to see if I liked the results...I totally did) mine was 2.00 on sale.
Black spray paint or black acrylic craft paint
Metallic acrylic finishing paint in Oyster Pearl
Sponge brush or small paint brush

Ok here's the process...its simple and I mean SIMPLE to create that look. It literally appears before your eyes in all its shiny metal looking goodness!
Step one-paint your letter black with either spray paint or craft paint...wait for it to dry completely
Step two-paint a layer of the pearl paint over the top of the black make sure that it doesn't go on perfectly...make sure there is some variation in the color so it looks as yummy and distressed as Anthro's.
Let dry...and hang on your wall to be loved and adored by your family and friends!

I am seriously so in love and immediately after I finished my letter I ran around the house looking for other things I zinc-ify! I had some garage sale A to Z bookends that were in the garage waiting for me to get around to them so I added my zinc touch to those bad boys using this same process...

Now run...Don't walk to your nearest craft store and pick up the supplies! You will not be sorry!!! :)

I'm partying at...

Transformation Thursday


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful these are! Thank you for sharing the process to get these beauties. I'm going to have to do some.
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi... stopping over from Tater Tots and Jello.. Love the letters... I can't wait to try them.

    Happy Spring!
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait to try this out! They turned out perfectly. I think these would fit right in with my sons room which is going to be done all in old world maps and Da Vinci =) I would love if you could stop by and link up to my VIP party tonight. Otherwise it runs every Friday through the weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got my running shoes on...lol...

    These are adorable, and much more affordable than the Anthro version...


    If you have a moment today, please share this with my readers @Creative Juice Thursday Hope to see yours among all the amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete